Virtual Internship Projects
REAL WORK LEARNING
What are Virtual Internships?
Virtual internships provide students the opportunity to gain on-the-job training in professional settings without having to work on-site. Instead, internship hours are completed virtually. It is a real remote project learning experience open all-year round for undergraduate and graduate students to work on a project remotely with the supervision of a NSC mentor and weekly meetings with the project host leader. The duration of the experience will be between 6 and 12 weeks. There will be a pre-departure online meeting and a paper is due at the end of the project.
Why Virtual Internships?
Both place-based and virtual internship experiences allow students to obtain professional work experience in their chosen fields while applying skills and knowledge learned in other courses taken within their educational program. But virtual interns reap additional, unique rewards. They enjoy flexibility in fitting the internship experience into their busy personal and professional lives, since work can often be completed evenings and on weekends. They have the opportunity to learn from experts in their field regardless of their geographic location. They strengthen their information and computer skills as they employ technology to communicate with their site supervisor and conduct their work.
“The VI Experience gives you access to unbelievable opportunities. You can work with people who are far above your level, you’re challenged with incredible learning experiences, and you discover the work that’s meaningful and intrinsically rewarding.”
1. To complete a real global project assignment in collaboration with industry experts and mentors.
2. To be future-proof using collaborative and communication tools
3. To develop future high demand skills such as digital business skills (ability to work virtually, digital design), agile thinking (innovation), interpersonal and communication (co-creativity and brainstorming, virtual teaming, collaboration) and global operating skills (understanding local markets, cultural sensitivity) enabling better employability
- Student Learning objectives
– Prepare for future working environment
– Apply classroom theory
– Skills development
– Personal and professional growth
– Enhance employability & sense of entrepreneurship
– Connect with like-minded University students and professionals
How it works
- Inquire through NSC’s University Enquiry Form
- A dedicated account manager will contact the University to understand their needs and requirements
- Membership and contracts are agreed and signed
- Students will have access to our application and sign up system, including submitting their -resumes and choosing their industry
- NSC will assess each applicant’s suitability for selected VI projects and arrange virtual interviews between student and VI Project Leaders
- Once placement is confirmed, students will begin their VI Projects under the mentorship of both the VI Project Company Mentor and NSC Mentor to ensure project and learning objectives are met
- Once VI Projects are completed, NSC will provide an outcome report to the University
- University Support: University partners receive dedicated attention to ensure curriculum requirements are met
- NSC will provide weekly updates on VI Projects progress and be available to answer any problem throughout the process. NSC will be the core communicator between students, university and company.
- Student Support: Once Students sign up, NSC staff will coordinate with students to confirm a placement. Every VI Project will have a dedicated NSC mentor. NSC Mentors will monitor the progress of the VI Project, answer questions, and help students grow throughout their VI Projects.
Sample VI Projects
- Content Marketing: Launching or analyzing content marketing strategies
- Social Media: Building a new social media channel to managing existing channels
- Business Development: design a new sales approach/ value proposition
- Data Analytics: Create powerful visuals out of hard data
- Field Research: Conduct market research for launch of new product or services